Fear not, for I am with you. Isaiah 41:0 (ESV)
Everyone is afraid of something.
As a child I was afraid of the dark, convinced there was a monster under my bed and another in my closet. I was afraid of heights then…and even a bit now. I know it is irrational, but the feeling of fear sometimes overtakes my rational thinking processes and I have to fight it to get over it. You too?
What are you afraid of? They say the most common fears include public speaking, rejection, failure, pain and death. The list of our fears is probably a very long one if we are honest with ourselves. You probably know some of your own fears. God knows all your fears, including the ones you haven’t admitted yet. He knows that fear is a creepy crawly thing that invades your daily life, sometimes paralyzing you in its hypnotic trance. He speaks a lot about this in His Word, and gives us reason to face our fears with confidence. Read these truths slowly out loud. Maybe you’ll want to write some of them down and repeat them later. Memorizing God’s Word is a mighty weapon against fear.
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:4)
- For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)
- Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
- For God gave us not a spirit of fearfulness; but of power and love and discipline. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation–whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life–of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can Man do to me?” (Hebrews 13:6)
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:0 (ESV)
We can face our fears with the confidence that He who is beside us and in us is greater than all our fears! Fix your eyes on Jesus, the perfecter of your faith. Abide in the Spirit He has given you, the Spirit of power, love and a sound mind.
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7